We’ve compiled a detailed checklist of all the important to-dos to help you keep track of the crucial stuff and ensure that everything proceeds as smoothly as possible along the way to moving to your new home.
We hope this list will serve you well.
8 weeks before you move
Starting early makes sense.
- Find a reputable conveyancer. While you can also do the conveyancing work yourself, we’d advice against it, especially if you’ve no prior experience of handling property transactions.
- Research your new neighborhood for information about local facilities.
- If you currently rent somewhere, inform your landlord about your moving plans and the date on which you plan to move out
- Do you have kids? Make sure to transfer their school records to your new address. If you’re moving to another city, lookup the schools in the area and pick the one that best suits your child’s academic, emotional and social needs.
4 weeks before you move
With one month to go, you must now start focusing on things like finalizing contracts, packing, organizing utilities, etc.
- Speak to your conveyancer and confirm the final details of your move. Review the transfer papers, contracts and structure of payment.
- Donate or sell off items that you don’t want to take to your new home.
- Organize the stuff that you need to take with you to your new home. Arrange for boxes for packing.
- Book a moving company. Ensure that the company is licensed and insured.
- Notify your utility provider that you’d moving residences in the next month so that they can update your billing address accordingly. If you plan to switch to a new provider, clear all payments on your old account and have it closed.
- If the journey to your new home involves overnight travelling, make sure to book a hotel where you and your family can stop by to have some rest.
2 weeks before you move
This is when things usually get “panicky” for house movers, but don’t worry you are well in control.
- Confirm the moving date with your conveyancer
- Finalize the moving plans with your moving company
- If you’ve a family member who is suffering from a chronic illness, check if there is enough medication for a week, post-move
- Make accommodation arrangements for your kids and pet (if you have any) where they can stay on the moving day
- Cancel all local services
- Label the boxes for packing
1 week before you move
Get excited; D-day is almost here.
- Finish your packing
- Change locks of your new house
- Defrost the freezer and fridge
- Wash all clothing and linen
- Update your address at the post office and your bank
- Send out change of address cards to relatives and friends
- Confirm the route with your moving company
1 day before you move
This is the last day at your old home. We completely understand; it can be emotional.
- Prepare some snacks for the moving day
- Fully charge your mobile phone
- Have a good, sound sleep
On the D-day
And finally that day has arrived when you’ll be starting a new life with your family at your new home.
- Drop off the kids and pet to the care center
- Check all the doors and windows are secured
- Walk through your old house to make sure everything is in order
- Board for the journey
ACME Moving Labor is your trusted moving service help Seattle, providing interstate and cross country moving and packing services Seattle, loading and unloading and container storage services. We offer customized moving plans to suit your needs and budget. Book your move today!