More Americans are moving every year—for their career, education, or for love. And if you’re one of them, you need to know how to prepare for a long-distance move.
Although the idea of moving to a new, unknown location sounds exciting, it requires tons of courage & planning. Let’s delve deeper to learn some useful and pragmatic tips for a hassle-free and seamless long-distance move.
Develop a System
You need to know the place you’re moving to like the back of your hand—from the climate and roads to your new home’s size, study everything and plan your move accordingly. Try scheduling your move in the off-season to avoid traffic or extreme weather conditions. This will save you hundreds of dollars and make the process more convenient.
Time passes in the blink of an eye when you’re in the middle of a move. So put your calendar and organizer together and start making a to-do list. Having an attainable schedule and a flexible timeline reduces the effort you have to put in and the time it takes to get everything done.
Set a Budget
Your moving budget depends on several factors. Remember to keep an extra 10% or more for unexpected expenses that might emerge during the move. The components of a long-distance move include transportation, moving goods, packing labor and material, wind-down expenses, unpacking, and child/pet care.
You’ll also have to consider opportunity costs for time and money—so start planning as soon as you know where you’re headed!
Here are some essential and handy hacks to keep in mind throughout the packing process for your long-distance move:
- Get your belongings insured. ASMA states that more than 80%of all moves aren’t insured—and homeowners stand to face a significant monetary loss if something goes wrong.
- Inspect your furniture before packing and moving. Abide by the regulations that prevent moving contaminants across states. Moreover, learn how weather affects different types of furnitureto ensure safe and secure transportation.
- Create an inventory list to get accurate price estimates from movers; this will help you stay organized by preventing the risk of losing or forgetting valuable belongings.
- Use technology to your aid and make moving checkliststo craft a plan of action.
- When packing your closet, take out everything and categorize them into tops, bottoms, headwear, footwear, jewelry, and so on. This will help you understand the type and nature of the things you own.
- Use weather protective packaging, vacuum bags, wardrobe boxes, packing peanuts, and other types of cost-efficient packing material.
- Your moving costs will depend on the number of things you’re transporting. Apply the one-year rule when packing mass-produced items like clothes, décor, utensils, and media items (CDs and DVDs). If an object is more than a year old, either discard, sell, or donate it.
Reach Out To Us for a Hassle-Free Long Distance Move
At ACME Moving Labor, we strive to offer you high-quality, 24/7 moving services at affordable rates. Our professional moving help Poulsbo WA will take care of everything from packing, loading, unloading, unpacking, and safe long distance transportation of your belongings.